Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Atkinson Dam

Atkinson Dam was built in 1942. It located on Atkinson Rd in Abingdon MD on winters run. It was built in 1942 for the Edgewood Arsenal Water Supply and for chemical warfare service. Below are some pictures I took of the dam myself. Its sort of run down and covered with graffiti but i still thought it would be interesting to show. I go here all the time just to relax and i never knew what it was there for until i checked the other side of the dam out. Its just so interesting to me that its still here to this day and was used during war in our past.
To the left and below are two giant stones that are in front of the entrance onto the dam.
This is the entrance (left)
Heres where the controls of the dam are located(above)







The above three photos are different view from the top of the dam.

5 comments:

  1. Very cool - great pictures! I didn't know anything about Atkinson Dam prior to reading your post. I'm curious how it was used or perhaps what it's intentions were with regard to chemical warfare?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Used to skip school, and go there. Memories,, Wow. So much fun sliding down that dam. BTW.. wear shoes,, lots of broken glass.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do people still go there and swam are you allowed deal can you still go down The dam?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really wanna know what those controls do....

    ReplyDelete